Saturday, August 05, 2006

A. W. I. A. 10: The return of the man who claimed to be a doctor

Shortly after I mistook another set of footfalls for his, the man who claimed to be a doctor returned, bearing a cup of liquid he claimed was coffee.

He set it before me and reached into the pocket of his pants for something, which he dropped on the table, too. It turned out to be two sealed cups of cream substitute and some mixed sugar and saccharine packets.

"I didn't know how you take it," he told me.
"I just take it as it comes," I answered.

He did not answer, just resumed his seat on the other side of the table, facing me.

He picked up the pen he'd left at a studiedly casual angle on the pad in front of him. He put it down again. He folded his hands. He looked at me.

"Let's try something different," he said. "Why don't you tell me what you did this morning."

Did he know the answer already? How long had they been watching me before they came to get me? At this juncture, I deemed it prudent to tell the truth. "I went for a walk. First thing. Right when I woke up. Around my neighborhood."

He nodded. I assumed, then, they had been watching me. "All right," he said. "Why don't you tell me about that."

"I noticed that telephone wires don't look anything like what you picture. Or what I picture, anyway, when I picture telephone wires. They're a mess."

Next

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is too strange. I just noticed that, too.

August 06, 2006  
Blogger L M said...

But why doesn't anyone else seem to notice? And why don't they fix it?

August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.