Friday, January 05, 2007

Today at breakfast Dr. Arkwright told me

Today at breakfast Dr. Arkwright told me he'd been thinking a lot about his last morning at home.
"That morning I woke at five with a perfect schematic drawing of a perpetual motion machine meticulously drawn in my imagination. I lay on my side in bed, running my mind's eye over each of the perfectly working parts, many nanoparticles I'd worked with in the lab.
"It occurred to me that there was a single problem, and, out loud I said, 'That gasket would have to be replaced every thirty ye
ars or so.'
"Muriel shifted and pressed herself tighter against me. I put my arm around her waist for balance, my hand on her breast for comfort.
"
When next I woke, I was face down. The schematic drawing had evaporated and I was breathing against a damp spot on the pillow where my own drool had soaked the case. The covers were thrown back so there was a draft on my right side, the space next to me in the bed was empty, and there was only an accusatory depression in the mattress pad where my wife had been."

9 Comments:

Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

You too huh? Nanoparticles...

January 05, 2007  
Blogger L M said...

He told you the same thing? Or you also had a perpetual motion machine?

January 05, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Obviously, he'd been drugged by his "Wife", who stole the schematics from him. The drool is a dead giveaway. I have seen the film Total Recall, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, enough times to know this.

January 05, 2007  
Blogger L M said...

But why leave the bedclothes in such a state? Just to add insult to injury?

January 05, 2007  
Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

Insult to injury is just another way of saying sultry sweet nothings in our lonely virgin yet very intelligent and vigilant minds...

January 05, 2007  
Blogger L M said...

Fair enough.

January 06, 2007  
Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

No, it's not always fair but it is surely real...

January 06, 2007  
Blogger L M said...

Is it forreal? I'm not sure how to use that word.

January 06, 2007  
Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

You are doing fine, just keep it up....

January 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.