Wednesday, April 04, 2007

There is a German word

There is a German word for the feeling an English-speaking person has when she is in a group having a conversation at a very sophisticated or technical level and she, to cover her insecurity, tries to come up with a German word to sprinkle into her comments, but I couldn't remember it at lunch today, when everyone was arguing about Kant and Kierkegaard and Proust.

Later, in the deeply stupid hours of the night, it will come begging at my mind like a hungry dog, and I will feel all of the impotence a stranger feels when meeting such a dog, knowing that feeding it will only make it linger.

What is that word?
These rough children; these soiled gods. Would they even know what I meant?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think, but I'm not sure, the German word for the English anecdote indicating the use or need for a German word is something like "deutschwörtsuchendschnitte."

April 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sinnerman Sharpie writes: That dog comes to you also? The litle brown one with one ear that droops? It tried to bite my toe off the other night even though I always keep my feet covered. It speaks foreign languages?

April 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.